Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Lutes Verses Guitars

Many think of a lute as simply an old fashioned guitar, maybe a little harder to hold or tune, but not fundamentally different. So it's perhaps understandable that much of the lute repertoire is performed and recorded on classical guitars. I am happy, of course, that so many guitarists are interested in lute music, but I'm usually not satisfied with the result. The music sounds somewhat dull and lifeless to me.

If the original composer had the guitar in mind while composing, it might be a completely different situation, but these two instruments are different enough that I feel it does them both a disservice to pretend that either can properly represent the other.

What do you think? Am I being too picky? Or is it best to avoid recordings that feature guitars playing lute music?


View Lute Videos.
View Videos of Guitars Playing Lute Music.

No comments: